Thursday, August 12, 2010

I'm Tired, But Sleep Just Won't Come

I've always had trouble sleeping at night. Right now it's close to 12:30 and I've already spent a good 45 minutes just staring into darkness, listening to the fan in the air conditioner. I hear the cat move about, but even he is asleep somewhere now. Probably on my side of the bed.

They say that geniuses sleep only a few hours a night. I guess my MENSA certificate should be here any moment. On the other hand, if the sun were out, I would probably be very drowsy and able to fall asleep sitting at this desk for a number of hours. Daylight makes me tired.

And as I sit here surrounded by a number of six-foot tall bookshelves, each one straining against the weight of hundreds of books; I know that I would not be as well read (or at least as well read as I am, which is better than average, but certainly not as much as some), familiar with as many films or listen to as much music if I weren't the insomniac I am.

Today, some 3,300 hours from The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson was released on the internet. Since I am such a night person, and considering that we didn't have cable growing up, I watched him almost every night, along with Letterman. I miss that show.

Anyway, typing away hasn't done anything to make me think I'm ready for bed. Back to the Accounting textbook for another 20 pages before I try again.

2 comments:

Lyman Feero said...

I don't knbow which is worse, the nights that I can't sleep or the nights filled with terror when I do.

I did a short film entitled Insomnis Amor about a man who was unable to sleep due to a genetic disorder.

Funny how sleep and creativity are often linked.

Steve Allan said...

I often wonder if it's that people who can't/don't sleep are at an advantage because they have more time. During those periods when I actually get full nights of sleep, I barely get anything done. Very few books, very few movies, and very little writing.

Then again, there may be something about being in that pseudo awake state where you fall asleep for a split second and since you've been denied REM sleep, you automatically start to dream and your unconscious takes over and comes up with shit you wouldn't otherwise think of.